Mayor Bob Gatt is seeking re-election as Novi Mayor at the November 3, 2015 general election. Mayor Gatt was elected to his current position in November, 2013. He currently is serving his second, 2-year term as Leader of the Novi City Council.
Prior to becoming Mayor, Bob served two, 4-year terms on the Novi City Council from 2003-2011. He won re-election on the Council in 2007. In 2008, he was appointed as the Mayor Pro-Tem of Novi.
Gatt is an expert is the law enforcement industry. He has an impeccable 40-year record of KEEPING YOU SAFE! No other candidate offers you this type of background and public-service experience.
Currently, Bob is the Manager of the Oakland County Animal Control Division which oversees the Oakland Pet Adoption Center in Auburn Hills. Before this position, Bob was the Chief of Field Operations for Oakland County’s Community Corrections Program. He held that position since 2002 before earrning this recent promotion to the Animal Control Division in 2012.
Before joining Oakland County in 2002, Mayor Gatt served a distinguished 27-year career in the Novi Police Department. He still is known by many residents as "Officer Bob."
A Business Administration graduate of Wayne State University (B.S. 1972) and Eastern Michigan University (Masters 1997), Bob developed a passion for public safety during his Novi Police career. He started the local Drug Abuse Resistance Education (D.A.R.E.) program in Novi Schools in 1988 when he served as a Police Detective. He also managed and operated the Crime Prevention Section within the department.
Mayor Gatt was born in Highland Park and was raised in a modest Northwest Detroit home with one brother and two sisters. He attended St. Monica Grade School and St. Francis De Sales High School in Detroit.
BOB’S QUALIFICATIONS & BACKGROUND
- 2011 to present – Mayor, City of Novi
- 2008-2011 – Appointed, Novi’s Mayor Pro-Tem
- 2007 – Re-Elected, Novi City Council
- 2003 – Elected, Novi City Council, to his first of two, 4-year terms
- 2012 to present - Manager, Oakland County Animal Control and Pet Adaption Center
- 2002-2012 – Chief of Field Operations for Oakland County’s Community Corrections Program
- 1975-2002 – Novi Police Department; promoted to Sergeant and Shift Commander in 1993 until retirement in 2002
- 1972-1975 – Marketing/Public Relations Official, Automotive Industry
- Master’s Degree in Liberal Studies (School of Technology), Eastern Michigan University
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration (Marketing and Accounting), Wayne State University